Monday, January 6, 2014

POL Poem: The Road Not Taken Explication

      I chose The Road Not Taken as my poem for the Poetry Out Loud competition. I like this poem for a number of reasons. One being, that it is so misunderstood. Before reading it in English class, I had heard about it and made my assumption that Frost encourages his reads to take the road less traveled. I find this especially interesting. I think it mirrors American optimism, for we tend to create inspirational meanings rather than depressing ones. By choosing to see the inspirational rather than plainly truthful meaning, it exemplifies our desire to accomplish the American dream in our own, unique ways. This misinterpretation is funny, for it is exactly the opposite of Frost’s intended point. In fact, Frost makes fun of those who claim in hindsight that they have taken the road less traveled. I find this to be very ironic. The poem is best known as its opposite meaning rather than its intended one. However, I think it mirrors the very message frost is trying to depict. If you believe you’ve taken the road less traveled, or strive to do so, it is a waste of time, for everyone ends up in the same place.
            Another factor in choosing this poem is the sound of it. it is read in a rhythmic, rhyming way which not only sounds nice, but will hopefully make it easier to memorize. I also like the imagery involved throughout it. it’s intended message is also interesting. I like that Frost is saying to take the easy road because I feel like throughout life, people are always saying to take the hard road now so that your life will be easier later. Frost contradicts the norm. Above all else though, I love how misunderstood it is. The irony in its misunderstood meaning is what sticks out to me the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment